Tillage is the basis of our profession. We work in a traditional way to let the lands express itself. We are trying to find the best mix between the local soil, the vine and Humans. This mix is the result of observations and important knowledge of our job. Of course, we are not infallible we do our best for the vineyard to blossom on our pots of Mâcon.
The vine has an annual cycle of 4 seasons :
The begining is in Winter
- A Guyot size is always manual.
- It is also the time to give the contributions to the ground. They are defined according to the historic of vines or by analysis. These contributions are made in great majority with dung of cows of the local breedings.
Between the enf of Guyot size and the first vines, there is the maintenances of every day.
- Change of the broken pots and the young wines.
- Passage of « sous-soleuse » to make down roots.
- It is also the moment to make the new plantations, preparations grounds and plantations.
All this under the spectre of the frost which can return when the « Saint Glaces » will don’t pass.
- Vegetation is growing, flowers are borning, fruits reach maturity in September.
- We scrap plantations to allow the blooming of roots.
- Vineyard in production are « enherbées » on the row to control the growth.
- The maturity is regularly controlled to be able to collect the most possible fruit.
- . The grape harvests, is the result of one working year in a few days (between 10 and 20 days). Each Vintage is different, it depends of the climat, the winemaker and the « terroir »(land).
Then, there is other stages but on the wine cellar !
… to wine !
During the harvest, after crops by machine or hand, the reception of red and white grapes is different.
For white grapes :
- When the grapes are received, they are sent directly in the pneumatic press. Our presses are composed of membranes who compress the grapes. This pressing has a duration of 3 hours. As a result, the juices are directly sent to our inox tanks.
- During 24 hours, the juices are kept in cold in the inox tank, in order to the solid parts go down, that who allow to rack the big less. Then, we clarify juices. Our most beautiful cuvées are sent in oak barrels to the vaulted cellar.
- It is from this step that the « alcoholic fermentation » begins: The sugar turns into alcohol and the aromas unveil…
For the red grapes :
- When the grapes are received, they are sent directly to the sorting conveyor. We sort them in order to select just a good maturity grapes.
- Then, they are sent in an inox tanks for step of macération, during 10 or 15 days. A maceration allows the juices to soak colors and tannins. After that, step of fermentation begins.
- Harvest is sent in press. wine who run off the press is sent in inox tanks or in oaks barrels.
At this season, a second natural fermentation begins, it’s the malo-lactic fermentation. It also the season to let the cold enter in our cellar in order to stabilize wines.
We leave time for wine … !
We are attentive of wich aromas that our wines offer. So, we can express their best characteristics and values. We take time to oberv, to taste and to analyze our wines for produce harmonious blends.
It’s the season of concretizations for the winegrower, must racking wines and bottling.
In addition, it’s at this season that we must prepare and consider the next harvest. The cleaning of tanks and barrels is an obligatory task to be abble to welcome, in the best conditions, the next vintage.
Then, a new year begins, the cycle of seasons, vines and winegrower restart.